Friday, May 2, 2014

Updated Love


 I've had a lot of people say, WHY ARE YOU PAINTING THIS BEAUTIFUL PIECE??
Well in my opinion it looks 100% better. Painting adds character, it gives a piece individuality. When someone buys this, no other person will have one like it. That's why I paint my "old" pieces. It's like makeup for furniture. Like my aunt Sue always said "alil paint on an old barn sure looks better!"

I first did a thin thin layer of old white all over and inside this piece.
On the blue color I did my first "mixing job" which included old white, duck egg blue, and paris grey..
I LOVE IT! I will be mixing more in the future. 
I put a thin layer of the blue on the side panels and drawers. After drying I put another thin coat of white over it again.
Inside I did old white on the shelves and the blue mix on the back wall of the cabinet. I did add a fun knob to the front cabinet just for looks.



I heavily distressed all edges and details with a fine sander. The bottom knobs are still original and I do have the original cabinet door knob if the buyer would like it instead.
A few coats of clear wax with the wax brush and a buffing with cheese cloth and she is done!
This was one of my pieces from my PICKIN blog.
PLEASE GIVE ME COMMENTS OF QUESTIONS!



JAMI








2 comments:

  1. Of course another beautiful piece of work!!! I love the colors and how it really brightens this piece up! It makes the detail on the front door really pop where as before it wasn't as eye catching. Great job as usual! Love it!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jami!
    Dustin "re-did" a China cabinet like this we got at an auction. It actually came with a light installed in the top. We did the back wall the accent color too and with the light on, it made a world of difference in enhancing that feature. Just a thought of something you could add to really set off the piece. I know you can get those accent lighting sets for under $20

    ReplyDelete